Isn’t it Time for a Road Trip?
Our "Top 5" stops for the Pennsylvania Wilds Artisan Trail in McKean County (besides us!)
The Pennsylvania Wilds is a two million acre landscape in NW PA comprised of 12 counties that have long been famous for outdoor recreation and tourism. In 2008, the PA Wilds Artisan Trail was launched to celebrate the region’s rapidly growing artisan culture. On the artisan trail, you can find locally-made Pennsylvania goods ranging from maple syrup to wood art, jewelry, craft liquor, and wine. And, of course, letterpress!
Here are a few of our closest friends on the trail; they are “must stops” for your trail planning, to pick up some amazing locally made products and meet some awe-inspiring craftsmen!
Of course, it goes without saying you’ll swing by The Laughing Owl Press on your journey to say "hello" and shop our handcrafted letterpress stationery and unique gifts. You can even watch us operate some presses. But on to our Top 5:
- ArtWorks at the Depot – an artist-run cooperative gallery and store located in the restored 1871 Railroad Depot in Kane, Pennsylvania, just down the street from The Laughing Owl Press!
- Flickerwood Wine Cellars – a family-run and award-winning winery and gift shop, with a beautiful wine lounge for wine tastings.
- Straub Brewery – Craft beer producer. Since 1872 - the third oldest brewery in the United States! Designate a safe driver and take a factory tasting tour.
- Art in the Wilds – an outdoor juried fine art show set in beautifully wooded Evergreen Park in the center of Kane, Pennsylvania. This awesome event is held at the end of June.
- Allegheny Outfitters – a family-owned and operated business with one canoe and kayak livery and an outdoors store along the Allegheny River in northwest Pennsylvania. The outdoor store carries gear for backpacking, adventure racing, camping, canoeing, kayaking, climbing, and more. The Wilderness Trip Planning Center, located in the store, is a free resource for anyone who is looking to take an adventure down the Allegheny River or in the Allegheny National Forest (ANF) that provides details pertinent to wilderness trip planning.
Plan your trip on the Pennsylvania Wilds Artisan Trail!